foods high in phosporous
Medically reviewed by Sara Osman,RD,PT

Introduction

Phosphorus is the second most abundant mineral in the human body and makes up about 1-1.4% of fat-free mass [1,5,6].

It is present in every cell of the body and plays an important role in how the body uses carbs and fats.

It is also a component of the bones, teeth, DNA, and RNA [1].

Phosphorus additives are widely used in many foods to preserve moisture or colour or even stabilise frozen foods. These foods naturally contain a lot more phosphorus per serving than natural food sources and play a role in maintaining the normal reserves in the body [1]

  • Normally, phosphorus absorption rates vary between 40 and 70% in the small intestine and the mineral is absorbed more efficiently from animal sources than plant sources [1].
  • 85% of phosphorus reserves are stored in bones and teeth and the remaining 15% distributed throughout blood & soft tissues [1,2].
  • Total body phosphorus stores in adults have been estimated to be around 400–800 g [5].
  • Excretion is through urine and regulated by the kidneys [2].
  • Also, faecal excretion of phosphorus is estimated to be around 300 to 600 mg/day [5].

Body Functions

Recommended Daily Intake

how much phosporous is recommended daily
Advertisement

Deficiency Symptoms

Phosphorous Food Sources

foods high in phosporous vegan
Advertisement

Excessive Intake/ Toxicity Side Effects

Groups At Risk of Phosphorous Deficiency

Phosphorous Interaction With Other Nutrients

  • CalciumUnabsorbed calcium in the digestive tract combines with phosphorous and interferes with its digestion and absorption [2].
  • Aluminium – When taken in large doses, antacids that contain aluminium may interfere with phosphorus absorption[2].

Nutrient Profiles For Food Groups

Fruits ( i )

Raw or Frozen – 22.91mg
Dried 22.72 mg
Canned – 19.13 mg
Raw or frozen – 22.91 mg

Legumes ( i )

Flour – 498.57 mg
Dry – 518.06 mg
Raw- 283.23 mg
Cooked – 145.55 mg
Canned – 96.93 mg

Nuts & Seeds ( i )

Nuts – 262.19 mg
Seeds – 410.33 mg

Veggies ( i )

Dried – 102.44 mg
Cooked – 61.02 mg
Canned – 67.76 mg
Raw or frozen – 61.02 mg

Cereal grains & Flour ( i )

Raw grains – 319.52 mg
Flour – 236.94 mg
Cooked – 80.90 mg

Oils ( i )

Cooking oil – 0.31 mg
Other edible oils – 0.38 mg

Share:

Medically reviewed by Sara Osman,RD,PT

Sharing is caring!

Subscribe to Newsletter

Follow us on Pinterest

Advertisement

About Veganism

Learn more about the origins , different types and potential nutritional deficiencies

Our Mission

Learn more about our mission, our approach and the story behind the project

2050 Challenges

Learn more about the Environmental, Health and Societal challenges of the future
Advertisement

Subscribe to Newsletter